ssh tunneling problem

Jim azanorak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:33:33 MST 2023

Today I was trying ssh tunneling between my desktop machine and a
raspberry pi.  On the desktop machine I entered the following:

ssh user at 192.168.1.4 -L 3000:192.168.1.4:1234

I then gave it my password then started rtl_tcp :

$ rtl_tcp -a 192.168.1.4 -p 1234

 From my desktop machine I connected to 127.0.0.1:3000 and the
connection was successful.

$ nrsc5 -H 127.0.0.1:1234 91.9 0
  IT worked as expected.

Then I logged out and tried again, only instead of the ip address I
entered the name of hostname.

$ ssh user at ladmo.asuscomm.com -L 1234:ladmo.asuscomm.com:1234

Then I started rtl_tcp just like I did before.

 From the desktop machine I tried the same command again:
$ nrsc5 -H 127.0.0.1:1234 91.9 0

This time I got an error message.  I checked the terminal window where I
logged into the raspberry pi and saw this:
channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

I logged out and tried again, only with the -v option:
$ ssh -v user at machine.domain.com -L 1234:machine.domain.com:1234

I tried again:
$ rtl_tcp -a 192.168.1.4 -p 1234

This time I got   a little more information:

debug1: channel 3: free: direct-tcpip: listening port 3000 for
machine.domain.com port 1234, connect from 127.0.0.1 port 56318 to
127.0.0.1 port 3000, nchannels 4

I tried one more time using the IP address assigned by my ISP.  It
didn't work and I got the same message as above.

Does anyone know why it doesn't work when I don't use the local IP
address? The router is configured to forward incoming connections on
port 22 to the raspberry pi.

Thanks