Server CPU

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Jul 20 10:26:52 MST 2023

Hi,

I was surfing the Inter Web when I happened upon a Xeon server CPU.  It
is marked at $32.49 at Newegg.  It has 12 cores and 24 threads and has a
good benchmark score.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+Silver+4116+%40+2.10GHz&id=3179

https://www.newegg.com/p/274-000A-007K2?Description=Xeon

In the future at some point I would like to build something with 20 plus
or minus cores and 40 threads more or less for Proxmox.  This would be
over kills because I only need 1 or 2 VMs active at one time... maybe 3
in an extreme situation.

This 12 core/24 thread CPU with 64Gb of Ram and a 1Tb SSD would really
be more resources than I would ever need.  Off the top of my head this
means I might be able to build a decent Proxmox server for $500 - $600.

I do not need fancy video except for one VM that might be running Win 10
or 11...  I assume a server grade CPU would handle Win 10 and 11?

Am I on the right track?

Thank You For Your Feedback!!

Keith