Public raspberrypi https/mail/dns... on Cox Cable

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Jul 9 12:33:36 MST 2023

Hi,

Was looking at the raspberrypi this morning and it brought me to the
same place I have come to several times in the post.

I have a business account with Cox Cable which allows me to run 1 or
more servers.  Last year I used an old laptop to make a web server using
Ubuntu, Apache, MySQL, PHP, plus Postfix and dovecot, plus BIND.  I'm a
PHP dev so I felt pretty good about that achievement.

I only have 1 public IP and everything on my network has a private IP.
I used port forwarding to get the web server to work.

Supposedly I can get multiple IPs from Cox.  On several occasions I've
asked the level 1 how I would configure 1 or more servers on the public
IPs they can provide and they do not know how.

At some point in the future I'm thinking I'd like to create a publicly
facing group of PIs to run as a web server (or maybe more)... 1 for
HTTPS, 1 for DNS, 1 for mail, and 1 for MySQL (on a private IP ?).

I assume I would use the Cisco gizmo that has coax in and RJ45 out...
the out would go into a small switch which would route each IP to the
appropriate PI based on the BIND config.  I assume I can plug my Netgear
router into the switch that currently has multiple devices connected to
it on private IPs, and which provides WIFI.

I assume I can add a router in between the Cisco (modem?) and my Netgear
and everything would work as it does now.  The added router would then
be in place to deal with any additional IP address that Cox would
provide?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Keith