TDD w/ Python, ch 9

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 09:21:46 MST 2023

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 8:30 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi Trent,
>
> First question is what is in your heart?  Is the path you are following
> where you want to go?  Do not read anything into my question.  It is all
> about you, and what you want to do.

I wanted to be an anthropologist (almost got a PhD), but programming is the
next coolest thing, and until the AIs take over there are a lot more jobs
and it pays better--even in a recession.   :)

> I would suggest Bluehost and get as many months as you may need.  I know
> they have a discount for new customers and I think you have to buy a
> year or more to get the discount - worth investigating.  I think they
> use cPanel, which may or may not be of use to you.
>
> Aren't Bluehost hosted sites often blacklisted?  I need to get to this
from my personal PC, plugged into my employer's internet.

> Make sure you have shell access to your shared hosting server.
>
> I would stay away from GoDaddy for the only reason of price.  I would
> encourage you look at them and see how they stack up.
>
> I used to buy my domains at GoDaddy until the price kept increasing.
> Now I am with NameSilo.
>
> If you are not going to keep the website you might consider a hypervisor
> instead of shared hosting. Look at VirtualBox and Proxmox.  By using a
> virtualization software you can build your own server (good for learning
> and resume) and save a few bucks.  It will take some time and there is a
> learning curve.
>
> So basically set up a guest as a server and then connect to the guest like
it's a server on the public internet?  My Mint development environment is a
guest on Windows.   I am an 'occasional' Linux and FOSS user.

Also, I like programming and software engineering and I'm always happy when
someone does the admin for me and tells me how they want the app to
implement security.  (That is admin is moderately fun, and thinking about
security makes me more anxious and paranoid in general, which is
unpleasant--so I'm even more happy to outsource as much of that as I can
get away with.)

(My general observation as an almost qualified anthropologist is that
security professionals, whether prison guards, police, or cyber-security
are more anxious and suspicious -- even paranoid than the population at
large.  I suspect they start a little bit more anxious and suspicious [and
it turns them on], then thinking about and coping with all the stuff bad
actors can do to you all day long makes it ever so much more so.)