TDD w/ Python, ch 9

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 07:53:10 MST 2023

I'm on the bench with my employer asd studying test driven development
using Harry Precival's Test-Driven Development with Python.  Percival uses
a simple web site on Django as the practice or example project.  In chapter
9 the baby website gets put on a real hosted web server.  It needs to be an
olde fashioned service where you have the freedom to do a lot of admin
work.  That is, you need to have enough rope to hang yourself.  I also need
a domain name and  two sub-domain names.  Price is important.  I will
probably finish the tutorial book and throw the site away instead of
keeping it as a personal website.

Has anyone got any suggestions for where to get a domain name and a hosting
service?

Trent

*Choosing Where to Host Our Site*

There are loads of different solutions out there these days, but they
broadly fall into two camps:

   - Running your own (possibly virtual) server
   - Using a Platform-As-A-Service (PaaS) offering like Heroku, OpenShift,
   or PythonAnywhere

Particularly for small sites, a PaaS offers a lot of advantages, and I
would definitely recommend looking into them. We’re not going to use a PaaS
in this book however, for several reasons. Firstly, I have a conflict of
interest, in that I think PythonAnywhere is the best, but then again I
would say that because I work there. Secondly, all the PaaS offerings are
quite different, and the procedures to deploy to each vary a lot — learning
about one doesn’t necessarily tell you about the others. Any one of them
might radically change their process or business model by the time you get
to read this book.

Instead, we’ll learn just a tiny bit of good old-fashioned server admin,
including SSH and web server config. They’re unlikely to ever go away, and
knowing a bit about them will get you some respect from all the grizzled
dinosaurs out there.

What I have done is to try to set up a server in such a way that’s a bit
like the environment you get from a PaaS, so you should be able to apply
the lessons

Percival, Harry. Test-Driven Development with Python (pp. 263-264).
O'Reilly Media. Kindle Edition.   (2017)

Or free at: https://www.obeythetestinggoat.com/pages/book.html