usb marked as read-only

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:06:02 MST 2023

HI. On my Kali Live USB drive I am trying to create persistence. I did it
once but then something happened (it ran out of space when I tried to
install snort) so I started over. But when I tried tpo create persistence I
got the read-only error. YOu know in my search to get it out of read-only I
discovered that it might mean my file system is corrupted.. But when I ran
   $ sudo fsck -f /dev/sdb
it just responded
   fsck from util-linux 2.37.2
then when I attempted to follow the directions (that worked before:
   sudo fdisk $usb <<< $(printf "n\np\n\n\n\nw")
   Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.37.2).
   Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
   Be careful before using the write command.
   fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Read-only file system
I'm thinking I need a new drive. Anything the gurus know that would be
beneficial before I spend the money on a new drive??
--