setting ntp up

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 06:31:24 MST 2023

I'm following the directions here
<https://www.how2shout.com/linux/solve-kali-error-inrelease-is-not-valid-yet-invalid-for-another-xh-xmin-xs/>
but:
"
E: Release file for http://http.kali.org/kali/dists/kali-rolling/InRelease
is not valid yet (invalid for another 4h 35min 19s). Updates for this
repository will not be applied.
"
So I googled that  and learned my clock was off and to restart ntp and
other stuff. I googled how to do that and was directed here
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi-jvGEu7D8AhUoQjABHQX8BHYQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstackoverflow.com%2Fquestions%2F39608758%2Ffailed-to-restart-ntpd-service&usg=AOvVaw3CSvWhna4tqeiyn15OUhvl>
which resulted in
"
└─$  ntpdate -u "in.pool.ntp.org", sudo service ntp restart
ntpdig: lookup of in.pool.ntp.org, failed, errno -2 = Name or service not
known
ntpdig: lookup of sudo failed, errno -2 = Name or service not known
ntpdig: lookup of service failed, errno -2 = Name or service not known
ntpdig: lookup of ntp failed, errno -2 = Name or service not known
ntpdig: lookup of restart failed, errno -2 = Name or service not known
ntpdig: no eligible servers"
"
I googled that and got no hits. I then shortened it to
"
ntpdig: lookup of in.pool.ntp.org, failed, errno -2 = Name or service'
"
but still no hits--