Why put Data Centers in HOT Phoenix?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Dec 31 12:59:16 MST 2023

Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Sun, 31 Dec 2023 06:54:08 -0700

>I get the labor pool is probably a draw.
>
>I've always wondered why companies want to build data centers in
>Phoenix given the extreme heat.
>
>Last year we had a month with daily highs of 116 degrees.  That means
>lots of A/C to cool down all that heat.

:-)

See my recent post on Fusion Energy. Imagine having dirt cheap
electricity to run your air conditioning. Dirt cheap electricity to
transport water from the Pacific and run de-salinization plants to
allow Phoenix to continue its survival as a net water-consumer.

And with rising sea levels, the ocean will have plenty of water.

Solar cells and batteries are getting better and better. The day will
come when roofing shingles are integral solar cells that power your air
conditioning and most of your other power needs. 2/3 of every joule of
solar energy falling on your roof doesn't heat your house because it's
instead converted to electricity.

    NOTE: I don't have solar panels because currently if you have solar
    panels and your roof starts to leak, you need to remove the solar
    panels just to diagnose the problem. Once we have solar cells
    integrated with the shingles, this stops being a problem.

>I wonder why someplace cool like Flagstaff is not more attractive.
>I've been there twice.  Once in October and it was freezing and once
>in May and the high of the day was 60 degrees.

Personally I don't want to live somewhere that never gets beyond 70 any
more than I want to live somewhere that stays above 95 all summer long.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21