AWS S3 Backups - User Cron - Should I create a backup User?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 20 23:39:23 MST 2023

Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:21:35 -0700

>Hi,
>
>I have been using the AWS S3 PHP SDK to backup my web content for
>maybe 12 years.  I'm revisiting it.
>
>I'm thinking that it might be more secure to create a backup user for
>just this process.  The credentials would be stored in the backup
>user's home directory, the script would be owned by the backup user,
>and the cron would be that backup user's cron.
>
>Am I on the right path and is there something else I should be looking
>at?

Hi Keith,

I'm not quite sure what your preceding two paragraphs mean, but I have
a home-brew backup script that backs my box up to a USB3 interfaced
spinning rust drive. I have several such drives, some of which are in a
bank vault at any given time.

This system has been working well for me.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21