Linux Basics

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 12:22:35 MST 2023

I loved Gentoo, It was an amazing learning experience and taught me a ton
about how Linux worked and was put together. It also taught me what Linux
really was and what a distro was. and the difference.

I would not use it as a server or for my laptop/desktop. But I appreciated
what it did for me.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 11:32 AM George Toft via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> I had the glorious opportunity to "fix" a Gentoo installation for a local
> company.  The business chose Gentoo because that's what the owner's 18 year
> old son knew, then the son didn't want to be daddy's tech support any
> more.  I inserted the CentOS installation DVD and fixed it.
>
> Regards,
>
> George Toft
>
> On 11/29/2023 6:19 PM, z via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>
> You will know everything you should know about linux once you have
> installed gentoo once without assistance (but documentaton is OK), and then
> compiled chromium a single time. The compiling chromium part is the most
> important lesson.
>
> Nov 29, 2023 17:57:20 Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
> <plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> <plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org>:
>
> Hey I am trying to determine what I do not know about Linux (Ubuntu).
>
> I watched each of these videos by Networkchuck.  He covers a lot and if
> there is anyone wanting to build more Linux muscle, then I would recommend
> this series.  I found a few things that I did not know or that I might need
> to know more about.  He does not cover logs nor does he cover Linux
> networking.
>
> All in all I think it is a good set of videos for anyone wanting to level
> up that may be, like me, self taught, that may have some missing skills.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhvC56v63IJIujb5cyE13oLuyORZpdkL
>
> Keith

Stephen