O/T : Windows WIFI not connecting

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Aug 31 12:58:20 MST 2023

Thank you to all who replied and all your suggestions.

It is somewhat unclear what happened because I used no diagnostics to
fix the issue.

As you might recall the computer in question is my wife's Dell that is 3
or 4 years old.  Since it was new it has been slow.  I assumed it was
the WiFi. Then it became extremely slow. After determining (PLUG help)
it was a RAM issue (it only had 4Gb of RAM) I upgraded the computer to
32Gb of RAM. I upgraded to 32Gb because at some point in the future I
will inherit the box. The computer was peppy for about a month and then
the computer would not "connect" to the Internet. It showed in my
router's access control so it seems the router was seeing it.

At the same time the power buttons were showing that windows wanted to
update the O/S.

Since I was unable access the Internet I moved the box into my office
and connected it to the router via Ethernet.  I finally had access to
the Internet and started what I thought was an update and turned out to
be an upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11. It took about an hour and a
quarter.

I turned the computer on and off several times and it displayed it
wanted to conduct an update.  About 45 minutes later is had completed
the update process.

After some fumbling around I was able to get WIFI to work and returned
the computer to my wife's office. She did what she always does all day
yesterday without an issue.

Windows 11 does not seem to be all that different from Windows 10.

I assume what might have happened was due to the limited amount of RAM
the updates were not applied or may not have been applied correctly.

In the end I got a free copy of Windows 11 and now my wife's computer is
running well.

Any thought are much appreciated.

Keith