Boot up from cold boot no network

Jim azanorak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 11:14:21 MST 2022

A few months ago my Dell Optiplex 7010 running Ubuntu 20.04 started
booting up without the network.  I'd reboot the machine and  the network
was there.  If I shut down the machine and turned it on again, no
network.  I thought something was wrong with the built in ethernet
adapter, so I bought a usb adapter, disabled the built in one and the
problem went away until today.  Now it's happening with the usb ethernet
adapter.  Rebooting the machine fixes the problem gets the network up
and running.  If I start with a cold boot and reboot at the grub screen,
I get the network.  I have 3 SSDs and 2 HDDs.  I have the same video
card that I had before this problem first showed itself.  It's a GeForce
GT 710.

I looked online and found something telling of other people who have had
this problem.  They disconnected video cards and went back to the built
in video (display port), and removed hard drives that had been added
later and this fixed the problem.  The ultimate solution was to replace
the power supply.  I disconnected one SSD and the 2 HDDs.  I don't have
anything that can use a display port, so I left the video card in
place.  All I had connected were  2 SSDs.  One it boots from and my home
directory is on the other.  The problem still showed itself when I
booted the machine, so I shut down and plugged in everything again.
This thing has a 240 watt power supply.  Do power supplies go band in
such a way they don't produce the amount of power they used to?

Any ideas what it might be?  Is there a command that would tell the
system to set up the network again?  If there is, I could put it in the
.bashrc until I get this fixed.

Thanks