beginning stem user here

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Sep 17 13:56:53 MST 2022

There's always minecraft.  Or just put retroarch on your system, get some
rom packs, and enjoy the last 40 years of gaming via emulation.  A 10 year
old phone can run most things up to a ps2 in history.

My last laptop had an intel/nvidia hybrid, but even with the 1050gt gpu I
found most games, particularly under linux/wine were just grossly
underpowered.  I've finally upgraded and this new one has a 3080, that
mostly eats up anything I've thrown at it, even playing lately no man's sky
via proton at full 4k res and ultra settings.  It's quite pretty, but my
1050 struggled hardcore at low resolutions, and just sort of stuttered and
froze if using the intel gpu.

-mb