wget ssl certificate problem

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:33:09 MST 2022

check out the verification of the cert chain.  it works for me with a new
build of 20.04, so it might be that you need to add or update your
truststore.
openssl s_client -connect www.gutenberg.org:443 < /dev/null | openssl x509
-text -noout

up there at the top, this is what it looks like when it works
depth=2 C = US, ST = New Jersey, L = Jersey City, O = The USERTRUST
Network, CN = USERTrust RSA Certification Authority
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, ST = VA, L = Herndon, O = Network Solutions L.L.C., CN =
Network Solutions OV Server CA 2
verify return:1
depth=0 C = US, ST = Utah, L = Salt Lake City, O = Project Gutenberg
Literary Archive Foundation, CN = *.gutenberg.org
verify return:1
DONE

I can see that i have that usertrust network cert in /etc/ssl/certs, so all
is good.  if i had to add one i'd have then run update-ca-certicates.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 2:17 PM Jim via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> This has been bugging me for a while, but today it's annoying me to the
> point I want to fix it.  Wget gives me an error whenever I try to use it.
> I have no problem getting files using a web browser.  Here's an example.
> Using firefox I was able to download the file, but this can be a pain in
> the butt when I'm trying to add a repository.  I have Ubuntu 20.04
> installed.
>

> $ wget https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68992.epub.images
> --2022-09-16 14:08:02--
> https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68992.epub.images
> Resolving www.gutenberg.org (www.gutenberg.org)... 152.19.134.47,
> 2610:28:3090:3000:0:bad:cafe:47
> Connecting to www.gutenberg.org (www.gutenberg.org)|152.19.134.47|:443...
> connected.
> ERROR: cannot verify www.gutenberg.org's certificate, issued by
> ‘CN=Network Solutions OV Server CA 2
> ,O=Network Solutions L.L.C.,L=Herndon,ST=VA,C=US’:
>  Self-signed certificate encountered.
> To connect to www.gutenberg.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
>
> Any idea how to fix this?  thanks

James McPhee