ssd/hdd question

T Zack Crawford z at tzcrawford.com
Fri Sep 16 12:20:47 MST 2022

SSD is more expensive but faster. M.2 SSDs even moreso. SSDs can have sectors go bad if you rewrite over the same spot multiple times. With SSDs, you should "trim" or clean up when files are deleted. Not 100% sure about SSDs, but data will start to corrupt over time on an HDD (scale ~2 years) because of the strength of the magnetics of the particular portion of the drive decay over time. You can mediate this by dd-ing the drive onto itself periodically. HDDs are fragile to being knocked (magnetics and motor). If you want to archive data for a long time, I suggest you look into optical (100s of years but limited space) or tape e.g. LTO. LTO is good for ~15 years with optimal storage conditions and is very cheap per TB if you already own a drive. Although transfer rate is slow and data is sequential. I own an LTO4 drive bought off ebay and tapes are ~20$ for 800GB. Optical and SSD is best for mobility. I often buy 2.5" drives and connect with SATA --> USB 3.0 which can be faster than a 5400rpm internal SSD directly wired sata to motherboard.