Why is PHP not a "real" language?

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Oct 5 19:16:28 MST 2022

Hi James,

Thank you so much for your time and effort.

I get lost in all of this because I am not an engineer nor do I work at
the enterprise level.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the 4 events/or people for 1986
or 1987.  During this time frame I :

1) Went into a business that was being run on a Commodore 64.
2) Had a classmate that was programming the Commodore 64 for daycare
operations.
3) Talked with a business owner that created a Basic program to run his
business.
4) I began programming using dBase III on a garage clone.  An 8088 CPU,
64k of RAM, 2 - 360k floppies, and no hard drive.

These folks have been left behind.

Doesn't this seem to indicate that this was really all we need.

This was before the Internet. And the Internet has added a layer of
complexity that if used correctly has it's benefits.

When I go to CostCo I see text based screens circa 1980's - 1990's.  I
wonder if these screens were built using Ncurses.  Maybe they are thin
clients or run off some central main frame or mini.

I'm a PHP developer.  I am not an engineer. I've been a LAMP dev since
2006.  I am about to learn NGINX - LEMP.

Most of the world is small businesses that cannot afford a contractor
for a short term project.  I wonder what tools they have that they can
use to automate their businesses.  In the 80's and 90's there was a ton
of tools for the DIY business owner.

Between them and the enterprise is the layer I live in.

I stick by my statement that the top level or enterprise engineers are
driving PHP.

I attended an AZPHP meeting about 3 years ago and was treated like I was
some kind of align because of my thoughts and experience.

Since I am an old guy and will never again work in the cube, I can
afford to go against the grain.

In my opinion the PHP bus has left a bunch of folks behind.

I'm not knocking what you do.  I can see there is a niche for such
things, and I can see by breaking a project into multiple microsystems
there is just a simple base and some APIs to define before the project
begins.

I am a simple LAMP dev and there is a huge demand for what I can do.
AND I think that demand will continue for years... maybe 10 plus years.

If the economy crashes like they say I think businesses will try to
automate more which will create more demand.

Keith