secondary hard drive

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at icloud.com
Tue Oct 4 03:46:19 MST 2022

Well, it’s a bit complicated.

Yes, an external drive can be used in this fashion. However, if there is a problem (like say the drive not being connected), it could cause the boot process to fail or hang. Also, at what point are the mount points initiated? If after the driver module load, then not much of a problem. However, if before modules are properly loaded, it could result in a system hang on boot. Would there be any way to mount said drive internally instead?

Now, I have played with the idea of using an external HDD for /home. It works fine until it doesn’t, then it turns into a nightmare. And yes, doing so by USB introduces several other factors, including transfer rates, I/o contention and the like. For a temp setup, this will work, but for the long haul, IMHO, I don’t think so.

-Eric
From the Central Offices of the Technomage Guild, Research and Development dept.