SSD drive in only at 2% wearout after 6 years of use.

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Mon Nov 28 09:38:11 MST 2022

Hi,

In October of 2016 I put a 1TB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD into service.  It was
placed in my daily driver and was my main drive.  At first I was
uncertain what would happen.  The drive came with a 5 year warranty.

I did a virus scan probably twice a month and used the computer for
probably 14 hours a day.  I did not baby the drive.

I recently repurposed that machine to run Proxmox.

Proxmox reports the disk wearout at 2%.  I assume that is not linear and
the wearout could increase rapidly at some point.

The box itself is 9 years old.  I am hoping to get a few more years from
this setup.

My gut told me to chose the Samsung EVO.  Not sure why.  The performance
is excellent and the longevity is more than I expected.

Keith