How to refresh the list of updates?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Thu Mar 31 20:11:15 MST 2022

Thanks Brian ... Followed your suggestion (quoted below)
and finally got the  update to work (sort of) ... but with
these error messages (and a bunch of other problems):

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted
because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed
index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your
network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences
is correct.

Failed to fetch
http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/trusty-getdeb/apps/binary-amd64/Packages
  gnutls_handshake() failed: Handshake failed
Failed to fetch
http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/dists/trusty-getdeb/apps/binary-i386/Packages
  gnutls_handshake() failed: Handshake failed
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

The application launcher just "blinks" and does not open,
so I cannot access anything there.

So, I tried this:  t420: sudo synaptic ... [sudo] password for joe: ...
and got these error messages:

** (synaptic:2749): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus
address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading
configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated. please move it to
/home/joe/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf manually

(synaptic:2749): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion
'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

And ... now I have no sound and I am seeing a variety of
weird problems, including the size of the display changes
(fonts increasing in size) arbitrarily and spuriously in
some applications. So, I have to CTRL - repeatedly to
reduce the contents image size.

-------------------
2203-26 Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> It says you have a duplicate entry for your google chrome
> repository in your sources.list file, which could be in just
> /etc/apt/sources.list  or in a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d
> or any combination of the two. I'd check it with:
> cd /etc/apt; grep -r chrome sources.list*
> and see which files it come back as having a match and
> then just delete one of the lines in the file, or the whole
> file if it's only has one repository line in it.

===