GNOME or KDE?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Mar 24 18:14:47 MST 2022

>> I never know on which monitor an application will launch in after I
start it.

Funny, this is one of my biggest complaints about KDE since the 4.x days.
I use a thunderbolt dock for my 2 external displays, and occasionally will
lose power or accidentally wiggle the laptop too much, power down the
displays, or just want to save on power/heat to power off myself, all hell
breaks loose.  Often once they come back up, it'll do some random
combination of one or all of 1) reverse the order of the displays, 2) reset
all settings of my displays (like resolution/hz), 3) jumble every damn
window of mine to random places, 4) move everything to one display only,
and 5) resize all my windows only on my 3rd display only to be 1px wide.
This is a 4k monitor with not very thick window borders to begin with to do
so!

Freakin' maddening, particularly #5 makes me want 5 finger death punch my
display when I have to manually resize a few dozen windows on it!  Even
worse about #5 above, once I resize the window, if I try to move the window
vs. resize it, it snaps like a rubberband to be 1px wide again.  What the
hell would you even begin with to troubleshoot *that*?.  Is it kde base,
kwin, video drivers/card, hdmi vs. displayport, mesa, or xorg?  They all
blame each other, or me for being fancy with my hardware, so I gave up
trying.

Trying to describe these to resolve in a bugtracker only nets me somewhere
between a confused wtf sort of answer or "ohh, mr fancy with 3x 4k
displays, none of us have that to test with, sorry not sorry".  It's like
that Dave Chappelle episode teaching customer service at the printers, "If
the customer says they have windows, tell them you only know mac.  If they
say they have mac, tell them you only know windows.  If they say they have
windows and mac, tell them you only know linux!"

I've tried gnome shell (hate it), cinnamon (tolerate it, has it's own
display issues), mate (like it, but missing functionality I'm used to in
Cinnamon and/or KDE), and unity (hated it, thankfully rip), still come back
to KDE even with maddening persistent multi-monitor flaws for well over a
decade now.  I've tried xfce, i3, some others, but just never "got it".  I
am not a developer and understand why they prefer the tiling - I just don't
work that way 98% of the time.  I move windows lots, and keep a lot of apps
open buried in layers, calling them forth from my dock as needed, for that
KDE + Cairo-Dock work great, so long as I keep the displays powered up 24/7.

-mb