m.2 2280

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Jan 21 16:00:22 MST 2022

On 2022-01-21 12:10, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> der.hans via PLUG-discuss said on Fri, 21 Jan 2022 00:47:42 +0000 (UTC)
>

>> RAID is to avoid the drive loss pain altogether :). I probably won't
>> do
>> it, though. I might get another drive to have a cold spare. The spare
>> can be smaller as I don't need everything on it in a pinch.
>
> I've never understood the attraction for RAID by anybody who doesn't
> have contracts with a 99.9%+ uptime provision. If you avoid Seagate
> drives, your drive will probably last more than 3 years, about the time
> it takes for your computer to obsolete.

You must be talking production web servers or something like that.
Everything I have is at least 5 years old and I am not thinking of
replacing any of it.  I have an SSD drive that is probably over 5 years
old on a box that might be 7 or 8 years old that was converted from
Linux to Windows probably over 5 years ago for business reasons.  I'm
planning on returning this box to Linux with no end point in mind.

I had an interesting conversation with a clerk at Staples the other day.
  He told me he is running  Linux on an very old laptop - something like
10 years or more...  And it is faster than the new equipment he works on
at Staples.

And there is a guy who is on this list that collects old laptops and
only runs Linux.

I am thinking of end of life for an old duo.... it is probably 15 years
old.  Would serve someone well running Linux.  About 6 years ago I was
using it as a home web server for a short period of time. I am only
thinking of letting it go because I have too much hardware.