m.2 2280

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Jan 20 17:47:42 MST 2022

Am 17. Jan, 2022 schwätzte Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss so:

moin moin,

> Crucial is the only ssd I have had fail. And with nvme drives I have had a
> 0% fail rate.

Hopefully mine does well.

> My favorite is the Evo series by Samsung. One of which I have had in place
> for over 6 years and it's wear level is still making like its barely used.
> 1t Evo 970 kept to less than 75% max capacity.

I've been happy with my Samsung devices, I'll consider them next time.

> I have had nice results from sabrent drives as well. And oddly enough
> Kingston a2000 series drives. Pcie 2x but still strong for Linux.
>
> Having room for wear leveling with backups I think will serve better than
> raid 1 for unless you expect a horrendous number of writes.

The drive gets exercised :). Probably still not that bad, though.

RAID is to avoid the drive loss pain altogether :). I probably won't do
it, though. I might get another drive to have a cold spare. The spare can
be smaller as I don't need everything on it in a pinch.

Thanks for the input.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022, 7:34 PM der.hans via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I'm looking to upgrade my NVMe drive and get two in order to mirror.
>>
>> I see crucial has several differently priced options. They're all
>> m.2 2280, so they should all work, right?
>>
>> Here's what I have now:
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aorus-1tb/p/N82E16820009012?Item=N82E16820009012
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite/p/N82E16813145160?Item=N82E16813145160

>> https://www.newegg.com/crucial-2tb-p2/p/N82E16820156274?Description=m2&cm_re=m2-_-20-156-274-_-Product
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/crucial-2tb-p5/p/N82E16820156250?Description=m2&cm_re=m2-_-20-156-250-_-Product
>>

>> https://www.newegg.com/crucial-2tb-p5-plus/p/N82E16820156281?Description=m2&cm_re=m2-_-20-156-281-_-Product
>>
>> Also, since these are hard drives, I could get any two similarly speeded
>> 2TB drives for mirroring on that mother board?
>>
>> Don't have to worry about batch matching or anything like RAM sometimes
>> needs?
>>
>> Need to make sure to get heat syncs with these puppies.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
>> # "You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the
>> # world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves!"
>> # -- the Doctor: Doctor Who, Tooth and Claw, 2006

#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to
#  see it tried on him personally. -- Abraham Lincoln