Demand for programmers who know system admin stuff

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Wed Jan 19 11:51:16 MST 2022

On 2022-01-09 23:53, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Fri, 07 Jan 2022 17:06:27 -0700
>
>> He mentions Python - is that the programming language to know for
>> server automation?
>
> I think Python 3 is the language for *everybody* to know. It's easy
> enough that most people know it, it's got a standard library so
> complete that you can do almost anything with just Python 3 and its
> standard library. And when you need something special, there's plenty
> of that too.
>
> Nowadays, I wouldn't be caught in any profession not knowing Python. I
> bet carpenters, Uber drivers, lawyers and network admins of all stripe
> can gain from it.

Interesting perspective.  I'm a PHP developer... Do I really need to
learn another language?

What kinds of things do you see that need to be automated?

I see all kinds of stuff in PHP.  Plesk and ISPConfig.  I was contacted
by a guy who was running two metal manufacturing businesses about his
PHP/MySql system that runs both manufacturing plants.  Interestingly
enough he was running it on shared hosting.

I'm very interested in your thoughts on why Python and what might be
automated on a web hosting server(s), network, etc.

Thanks!!