Dell problems

Jim azanorak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 22:37:56 MST 2022

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 that has a couple of problems I'm trying to
get sorted.   It has Kubuntu 20.04 with 32GB RAM.  The ssd it boots from
is less than half full.  Over the weekend the Ethernet adapter which is
on the motherboard started acting up. When I first boot the machine for
the day, it doesn't detect the Ethernet adapter.  I first replaced the
cable connecting it to the router, but that didn't bring the network
back.  I rebooted the machine and it detected the Ethernet adapter.
Now every time I reboot it, there's no network, and I have to reboot it
again to the the network.  Any idea what might be causing this?  If the
Ethernet adapter is going bad, would a USB Ethernet adapter or an
internal one that uses the PCI slot be better?

Now for the other problem.  The device notifier is supposed to pop up
showing the storage device I plugged in and give me the option to mount
it.  Several months ago it started showing every drive in the machine as
a removable drive and giving me the option to unmount any that are
mounted, including the drives inside the case.  I looked online for help
with this and found a change to some config file that would hide those
internal drives.  A few days ago I swapped out a drive in it and now
that device notifier doesn't always show drives I attach to the system
to do backups. I can't remember what config file I changed, so I can't
undo whatever it was I did months ago.  Does anyone know what I messed up?

Thanks

Jim