McDonald's unveils first automated location

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Dec 30 16:04:42 MST 2022

On 2022-12-30 15:19, George Toft via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Pick-a-part is a great place to find brains :)  It helps to know where
> the ECU is and how to remove it (automotive brain surgeon) otherwise,
> you'll be paying someone else to extract it and ship it to you and pay
> someone else at $175/hr to install it.  It rapidly becomes
> cost-prohibitive to maintain old cars.  A good example in the Nissan
> Xterra world is a metallurgical defect that exists in transmission
> coolers from 2005-2009.  Here we are in 2022 and the radiators are
> failing resulting in mixing antifreeze and ATF which destroys the
> transmission.  It costs more to rebuild the transmission than the
> vehicle is worth.

I own a 2009 Xterra.  You are correct that the trans oil cooler would
fail and allow coolant into the trans.  The trans would fail.

I received a letter from a lawyer asking me to joint the class action
lawsuit maybe 8 years ago. I chose not to and replaced the radiator
myself.

The settlement was Nissan would replace the radiator and trans for $2500
only after the failure.

The same period of Nissans had a timing chain issue.

I like my Xterra and will take my chances with the timing chain.  I am
told there defects were on earlier models. I assume the lawyers extended
the years covered to make sure they were "covering" everyone.

It was a bad settlement for the consumer while the lawyers made
millions.

> The same problem exists with EV's when the batteries near end-of-life -
> a replacement battery pack is more than what the car is worth.  > And
> the same will be true with these brain cars.
>
> Another example that directly pertains to computers (to keep it
> somewhat on-topic).  I needed to run some video editing software on my
> 9 year old Dell computer.  The video card was unsupported. So now my
> choice was buy a $1600 video card (remember the chip shortage of 2021?)
> for a 9 year old computer, or buy a prebuilt Alienware system that
> included the video card for $600 more.  I chose to refresh the whole
> system.

My network needs a refresh too... holding out for a while.

To keep it Linux, my Xterra gives rides to a PHP developer who uses
Linux and Open Source.

If I were a younger man I'd put an old school  350ci Chev in it and have
some fun.