dBase

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Dec 27 19:02:42 MST 2022

On 2022-12-27 16:29, Steven via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On 12/25/22 16:58, David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss wrote:
>>> On Dec 25, 2022, at 1:59 PM, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
>>> <plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think someone like David Schwartz has the ability to create a clone
>>> of dBase III.
>>
>> Perhaps, but I think it’s far wiser to let sleeping dogs lie. :-/
>>
>> I remember playing with some version of dBase at some point, and I as
>> I recall, most of what it could do can be done using *nix shell
>> scripts.
>>
>> -David Schwartz
>
> Yeah, a few years back in a fit of nostalgia (in combination with a
> NaNoWriMo project) I looked around to see if dBase or one of the
> classic xBase clones was easily available. I got my first introduction
> to dBase as a kid when they started using it for some departmental
> records at the hospital where my father worked, so we ended up with a
> three inch thick book and a copy on our computer. Later working at the
> college computer lab dBase III/IV was one of the bits of software we
> had classes for (among Word, Excel, Lotus 123, PowerPoint, Access,
> dBase, and typing dBase stood out because it was arguably a programming
> class). In the end I decided to leave it as just nostalgia.
>

> And anything that could have been done with dBase can likely be done
> with a combination of SQLite and any programming language you wish
> including shell scripting. Sqlite might not fit on a 360k floppy, but a
> quick search says that even if you turn on all the options you can
> still comfortably compile it under a megabyte in size. There's a reason
> it's been getting embedded into all sorts of things from programming
> languages to applications and operating systems. Even Microsoft has
> given in and works with it, which probably has Gates preemptively
> spinning in his grave despite not being dead or buried yet. You can
> pretty much treat it as the standard lightweight data store these days.
> Heck, the Library of Congress has it as a recommendation due to the
> open nature of the software (released to the public domain) and
> available official documentation of the file format.

SQLite surly looks cool, however I would not call is a replacement for
dBase III.  dBase III was very structured and provide the ability to
create forms with widgets.

It looks like SQLite would require some programming and the use of
ncurses or Qt... or maybe some other screen building language.  Am I
wrong?

Still it is pretty cool!!

---
Microsoft owns Visual FoxPro ... why not trim that down?

MS also owns MS-Access which is a kludge in my opinion.