4-year Programing and Analytics degree from Mesa CC

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sat Dec 24 07:28:56 MST 2022

You make a lot of good points David.

Can we agree there are three types of degrees?

1) Non technical such as English.
2) Somewhat Technical such as MIS.
3) Engineering/Computer Science/Math or highly technical degrees.

At the UofA they did not offer a more technical/computer science degree
until I was about to graduate.  I was in Management Information Systems
MIS.  This was not a very technical degree.

I was required to take:
- FORTRAN which all business majors were required to take.  It was
called intro to computers.
- Since I was an Accounting major at the time, I was required to take
COBOL.
- A class that was thought using Pascal.  We had to do a project with
pointers.  Do not recall much else.
- Analysis
- Design
- And some course on databases. I think this is where I learned about
normalization.

Not a very technical curriculum.

After taking COBOL I transferred to the local JC which had a very decent
curriculum.  Not as good as Steve Litt's program.

The JC degree required 72 units and included lots of computer classes
such as assembly programming and added a 2nd COBOL class.  I was told if
I did not get an A in COBOL I would not be able to find work in the
local community.

Given my education and experience I cannot create compilers,
interpreters, nor parsers.  I see great value in having those types of
skills.

Keith