burn to cd

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Aug 31 07:26:53 MST 2022

On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 23:08 -0700, Brian Cluff via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> What your talking about is a multisession CD.
>
> The amount of data a CD (700MB) or even a DVD (4.7GB) holds is
> practically nothing by today's standards, plus a blank CD or DVD is only
> about 20 cents.  So it's not worth losing data because you tried to get
> fancy and save a couple of cents with your storage. Just burn whole
> disks at once and then check them before you delete the originals.

Yeah, if backups can be fit on a DVD, that's the way to go. Keep them in a dark
place and they'll last decades, or at least mine have.

> I'm fairly sure that files are an SSD are relatively immune to EM
> stuff.

I doubt that. An SSD is made of transistors, and transistor junctions break with
EMP.

> If something happens big enough to wipe a drive that's just
> sitting in storage, you'll likely not care about computers anymore
> because you'll be fighting people for food and water.

You're absolutely right. That being said, there are some kinds of EMP events that
could be gotten over in a decade or two. For that reason, I keep a couple radios, a
couple backup USB spinning rust drives, and some LED flashlights in a steel garbage
can. Sure, with strong EMP my stuff would get fried right through the can, but my
stuff might survive weaker EMP, such as somebody busting a nuke over South Dakota (I
live in Florida).

As far as food and water, that's why we stash canned food and lots of water, along
with ammo. And please don't make assumptions about which side of the political
spectrum I'm on, from the preceding sentence.

SteveT