Why is PHP not a "real" language?

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Aug 28 16:59:25 MST 2022

On 2022-08-28 02:23, Andrew McRobb via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Just my take on it, someone who used PHP very heavily from 2015 to
> 2018 and transfered to Go.  My views maybe dated at this point...
>
> It has its place in the ecosystem, there is no way around it, but it's
> always going to be that language for engineering websites, that's it.

And that is what I do.  However it is also used for server
administration.  Plesk is an example.

> It was mostly considered bloated and not really seen as good as using
> Python in Unix environments. Python does package management right, and
> you can go far beyond that if you wanted which makes it a amazing tool
> and it's usually pre-installed.
>
> As someone who develops API code using Go as a daily, I haven't looked
> back at PHP since. GO does so many things right in comparison to PHP.
> It makes writting APIs a snap and infrastructures are much simpler and
> you can ship binaries! But for rendering websites, it has its
> weaknesses and heavily depends on template engines if you aren't
> writting a single web page application. This is maybe when you depend
> on PHP, but front-ends like React and Angular have came so far that
> having to mix front-end and backend code shouldn't be necessary these
> days.

I use JavaScript/AJAX in the client and PHP on the server. Works Well.
Do not know much about these other languages.

> Small Rant: I basically came to terms that no one language is always
> the answer to everything and the circle jerks of languages is just a
> waste of time, imho. Use what you love, if you like it and it works
> and can scale to demand, good for you! But never also find yourself
> stuck in a echo chamber, learn some Erlang, Rust. See what else is out
> there. Heck you could find out your a Ruby developer at the end of the
> day.

At my ripe old age I will probably stay with PHP until I die.
Interesting advice, thanks!!