Recommended affordable hardware for 4k video playback?

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Sat Aug 27 20:13:24 MST 2022

A raspberry pi can do 4K but they are backordered and sold out some reports
say maybe after the new year before orders catch up
most mid level video cards should do fine  but not much help for a laptop
for a laptop it will take a bunch of reading I am sure they are out there I
just have look for that 4K use with linux

On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 8:01 PM T. Zack Crawford via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> I have historically just hooked up an old laptop to my TV to watch movies
> and such, but I recently upgraded to 4k and my poor 4x1.5 GHz CPU (AMD
> E2-6110) can't seem to keep up. Realistically, it kind of struggled with
> 1080p to begin with. I have tinkered with mpv hardware decoding options and
> vaapi, but I'm thinking my old boy with the weak cpu and integrated
> graphics just isn't capable. Pretty sure that's the issue, I don't have any
> major background processes running and it's probably not a buffering issue
> considering that in this case I'm playing videos stored on an internal 1TB
> SSD and I have 8GB RAM. VLC is probably working worse than mpv.
>
> Any recommendations for a cheap hardware upgrade for this? Thinking I
> might just try to find an old used computer with some kind of GPU. Likely a
> raspberry pi would have the same problem? What should I be considering for
> minimum/recommended specs? Would puppy linux or some kind of dedicated OS
> be better than a standard arch linux/i3 setup? I feel like what I currently
> run is about as snappy as the device will get.

Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
2928 W El Caminito
Phoenix AZ  85051-3957