Right now my computer is in the shop.

T Zack Crawford z at tzcrawford.com
Sat Aug 27 16:10:42 MST 2022

Manjaro is supposed to have repositories with slightly older and more stable software, but in my experience it's less stable and well-documented. Manjaro also comes a bit more pre-configured but I don't really see the point in that now that arch has a guided installer. At this point in time, I don't really see myself using anything other than arch or debian. Unless some distro gets really big and systemd is less relevant.

I don't believe that arch is really that hard to maintain. You don't have to update if you don't want to. You can always install an LTS kernel and chill. Often I will add the kernel packages to the ignore list and then once every couple months I'll update everything and reboot. You can always install an LTS kernel and chill. If there is a breakage, 90% of the time it's because you have something misconfigured (eg update changing syntax of config file) or a reboot will fix it. If the updated package really is just buggy, you can downgrade (I use the downgrade aur package for this) or install a different version via flatpak or aur. Ideally you are doing system backup and recovery with a program like timeshift so you don't need to panic in the case something breaks really hard and you're suddenly in dependency hell. That's only happened to me a couple times in 6 years though.

For me the biggest selling points for Arch is the package manager/AUR and the documentation. You also have the freedom to change a lot of things without pissing off something in your system. Downside is it can take a little longer to set things up in the way you want. But at least you CAN do that and you CAN fix breakages.

Mint is a fine distro. If you want a "just werks" situation, that might be one of the best fits for most people.