Opportunity

Phil Waclawski phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu
Tue Aug 23 22:33:23 MST 2022

As a CIS (Computer Information Systems) Faculty at Mesa Community College,
I am of course biased. I do feel that we offer a good education at an
affordable price compared to the universities. With CIS, we focus more on
actually coding/making things than theory. So, you won't build compilers,
but you will build working programs, web sites, databases etc etc.

Education is definitely shifting, and the "taught yourself" crowd has done
well since the early days :) I tell my students that they need to work on
some projects for themselves, or work with another group on code/etc.
Employers want to see what you have done. The degree is great, but if that
is all you have, you are at a disadvantage. And learn to network if you
truly want to get a good job.

I am looking forward to seeing how our first 4 year degree (Data Analytics
and Programming) pans out when it starts Fall 2023.

Phil W