not(ion) re-meta

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Aug 21 23:24:36 MST 2022

moin moin,

I'm experimenting with notion window manager. It's in a window inside
another xwdinow display, of course.

META is set to "Mod4+" by default, which is alt. But, alt is used by the
original WM. I tried combos like shift-alt, ctrl-all, meta-alt and none of
them worked to pass through the alt to the notion window.

I tried setting META to a variety of things such as '\+',  '\\+',
backslash+, Shift+Meta4+, Meta1+, Meta2+ and more.

Many led to errors when notion started up.

Is it possible to get notion to re-read the config without needing to restart?

How do you log out of notion? Been needing to make copious use of kill.

Where's a list of what the MetaX keys map to?

How can I set META to 'shift-alt+' or 'backslash+' or something else
that'll work inside another Xsession?

Can the META key be changed on the fly?

I would like to test with a tiling window manager. I'm not dedicated to
notion, but ion and RatPoison are the tiling window managers I've been
hearing about for years.

I don't necessarily want to end up at a tiling window manager, but I would
like to move to more keyboard oriented window manager.

I have a lot of windows, so just iterating through them alt-tab style will
not cut it, especially since many of them are xterms. I also run many
Firefox profiles at the same time. I'm light right now because it's
weekend, but still have more than 10 different Firefox windows open using
7 different profiles.

Oh, and I have a large display surface with many windows visible at any
time.

I also use multiple workspaces. Perhaps I just need to use APL, so I can
use matrix math to dial in where I want the focus :).

Perhaps it's time to finally learn more KDE keyboard shortcuts.

I'm open to suggestions.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com   https://www.PhxLinux.org
#  "It's your difference that gives you the power that you have."