Customize Apache2 directory list

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Sun Aug 21 17:22:55 MST 2022

On 2022-08-21 16:43, James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 2:42 PM Jim wrote:
>> Today I got Apache2 running on it to serve music to my android
>> phone so could listen when I'm out in the yard.   It works but
>> the size of the text in the directory listing is really small.  How
>> can
>> I enlarge the size of the text?    I looked online but didn't find
>> anything that  made sense.  Some sites said to use a css file.

It's slightly more complicated than it should be, but read on.

> If you're using the apache indexes page, you can add an
> IndexStyleSheet directive.
> https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexstylesheet

This will not do what you want without extensive fiddling.  I found a
better solution, or at least a hacked-together starting point, by
cannibalizing and simplifying the Apaxy github project.  I had to put
these lines into the <Directory> where my default vhost lives:

IndexStyleSheet /indexcss/style.css
HeaderName /indexcss/header.html
ReadmeName /indexcss/footer.html
IndexOptions +Charset=UTF-8 +FancyIndexing +FoldersFirst +HTMLTable
+IconsAreLinks +IgnoreCase +NameWidth=* +SuppressDescription
+SuppressRules +XHTML -SuppressHTMLPreamble

Then you can see how it looks at http://crow202.com/indexcss/ .  You
probably will need to copy the example code and change the stuff around
for your needs since it may not be large enough.  Editing the style.css
, header.html , and footer.html files will get you lots of stuff.  The
entire project not the hacked-together trimmed down version is of course
at https://github.com/oupala/apaxy , and it has more features including
javascript.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress