sysctl items not persisting after reboot on Ubuntu 20.04

Shawn Badger shawn at badger.pro
Fri Aug 19 09:51:47 MST 2022

I am running into an odd issue where config files placed in /etc/sysctl.d/
are not being read on reboot, but after restarting procps they load as
expected.

root at dd:/home/user# sysctl -a |grep net.bridge
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables = 1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 1
net.bridge.bridge-nf-filter-pppoe-tagged = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-filter-vlan-tagged = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-pass-vlan-input-dev = 0
root at dd:/home/user# systemctl restart procps
root at dd:/home/user# sysctl -a |grep net.bridge
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-filter-pppoe-tagged = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-filter-vlan-tagged = 0
net.bridge.bridge-nf-pass-vlan-input-dev = 0

I have done
# systemctl restart procps
# sysctl -p

a few times and rebooted without success. I have even done systemctl
daemon-reload in hopes of having systemd reread the files.
My Google Fu is failing on finding a solution that works. Does anyone have
an idea why the restart of procps applies the changes but doesn't apply
them on startup?
Yes, the procps service is enabled and is running before I do the restart.

Thanks