I was wondering....

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Oct 15 20:55:36 MST 2021

On 2021-10-15 10:23, Michael via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Can raid5 be done on ssd?

If you're using softRAID via md, you can run RAID-5 on almost any block
device that you have 3 or more of.  ISTR that someone did RAID-5 on a
bunch of USB floppy drives in the 2000s as a proof of concept and/or
silly demonstration.  Can't find the article that I originally read[0],
but
https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2019/10/17/creating-a-raid-of-usb-pendrives-in-linux/
shows a similar procedure using RAID-10 instead of RAID-5.  By reading
the man page for mdadm and the HOWTO for softRAID (
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid ) and understanding
things, I think you might be able to use that article to do something
similar.

[0] Both google and duckduckgo are returning useless results more often
than not these days.  I think that search engines were actually *better*
at returning useful data in 2010 than they are now.  I blame
advertisers.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity