localhost

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 12:05:29 MST 2021

Regarding the original question of why the browser is saying "problem with
address", what is the actual error?  Name resolution, connection, cert, etc
etc?  Those friendly human readable errors leave too much open to
interpretation.

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Snyder, Alexander J via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> The IP address range *127.0.* *0.0 – 127.255.* *255.255* is reserved for
> loopback, i.e. a Host's self-address, also known as localhost address. This
> loopback IP address is managed entirely by and within the operating system.
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander.
>
> Sent from my Samsung S20+ 5G
>
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2021, 11:58 greg zegan via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> localhost <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost>
>>
>> localhost
>>
>> The local loopback mechanism may be used to run a network service on a
>> host without requiring a physical network...
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localhost>
>>

>> you need to specify the port number
>>

>> On Saturday, October 9, 2021, 02:29:07 PM EDT, Michael via PLUG-discuss <
>> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>

>> Are the addresses for localhost 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.1.1 ? That was a
>> rhetorical question. What isn't rhetorical is why, when I enter either of
>> those addresses into a browser , do I get a 'problem with address' page?
>> Are there
>> --

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com