Reliable ISP?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Nov 14 13:09:32 MST 2021

Well, not knowing what you have (ie. cable/dsl vs. like actual fiber, T1's,
or what), I'm presuming probably cable or dsl.

Tempe in that area was originally acquired by cox from some local podunk
cable company that built it originally, and circa 2003 when I worked for
cox, the cable was all craptastic in the asu/tempe area.  A buddy that
works there told me they fixed most of tempe already, but one never
knows...  DSL is highly variable on age as well, and that being an older
hood, I can imagine it might be shaky.  Centurylink never really fixes
those on old 2-wire infrastructure, they just guarantee less quality.

If you have cox and a decent motorola/arris modem, you can probably monitor
your own modem power levels off the modem's internal page if you look up
how to, which will tell you if it's truly a service problem in your area or
house and you can yell at them to (hopefully) fix.  Calling cox and
drilling them some, they can see and record modem levels historically too,
so they know if someone there cares to look.   DSL you're probably more
stuck with Centurylink some asscrack tech looking at a point in time, which
may or may not tell the whole story.  Monitoring externally with pings and
recording latency is probably all you can do there.  Run an mtr (linux
enhanced traceroute utility) to google over time and watch your per-hop
latencies, see where it goes to hell.

Short of getting cox or CL to build fiber to your crib, you're mostly stuck
with cox cable or centurylink dsl for residential or *business* service
(which is just residential with better maintenance response times to roll a
tech there).  They'll make you pay the construction one form or another
(higher monthly recurring cost over a long-term contract, or you pay
construction up front of some tens of thousands of dollars), but then you
can get 10mbps to 10gbps, again whatever you want to pay for.

-mb