looking for file system changes on a shared hosting account?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed May 12 22:18:28 MST 2021

David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 11 May 2021 22:08:08 +0000
(UTC)

>What I’d like to do is install a script or program that can scan
>through my file tree from …/public_html/ down and look for changes in
>the file system since the last scan, which is what tripwire does.

I've seen quite a few excellent suggestions in this thread. One more
possibility is piping the output of inotifywait to a log file:

inotifywait -rm .../public_html >> /home/myself/changes.log

The log file will build up pretty fast, so manual or automatic rotation
or pruning is necessary.

SteveT

Steve Litt