looking for file system changes on a shared hosting account?

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Wed May 12 08:01:13 MST 2021

On 2021-05-11 17:58, David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I’ll give this (periodically md5sum files in a dir) a try, thanks!
> Does fam do anything different?

fam is a set of C functions.  Apparently, you have to write C to use
them, but you can call FAMMonitorDirectory() on a particular dir, then
if anything changes in that dir or dirs below it, you get an event on a
file descriptor.  The details are all available in "man fam" if you have
fam installed.

This is not a very friendly way to do things.  I'm surprised no one's
written a wrapper around it that makes it easier to use, but then, you
usually don't actually need this and it can get very expensive.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity