Why I hate updates ... Thanks Michael ...

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Mar 13 15:34:12 MST 2021

Joe,
  I would recommend running a couple simple cleanups to get some space back for now.
Keep in mind this will be a temporary fix; you will run out of space again fairly quickly if you cannot remove some programs or otherwise permanently clear some space on the root partition.

Empty the trash/recycle folder
Remove old kernel versions (I recommend keeping the most recent two)
Remove less commonly used fonts
  sudo apt purge "fonts-kacst*" "fonts-khmeros*" fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru-extra "fonts-nanum*" fonts-noto-cjk "fonts-takao*" fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica "fonts-tlwg-*" "fonts-lohit-*" fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi "fonts-samyak*" fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sarai "fonts-telu*" "fonts-wqy*" "fonts-smc*" fonts-deva-extra fonts-sahadeva
Remove unnecessary apt files and unnecessary library dependencies
  sudo apt-get clean # this will gain a good amount of space, but it will fill back up with the next apt update or apt upgrade
  sudo apt-get autoremove --purge # this will remove packages leftover from other programs and no longer needed, --purge just makes sure the related configs and help files are also removed, cleaning up space in /usr/share and /usr/local/share

Check logs in /var/log, if there are some very large files (or a large number) that are compressed (old logs are typically compressed automatically), you might consider moving those to an archive folder in /home where you have plenty of space.  I don't recommend removing old logs arbitrarily.
Look at /tmp, /var/crash, /var/spool, /var/cache, etc...  See if there are large files you can move to a folder in /home or (/var/cache) remove.
  sudo du -ms /var/* | sort -n  # This will list folders in increasing size order, the largest at the bottom are good candidates to clean up, size is in megabytes, so anything over 500 is a good place to see if you can clean up.

Look at what you have installed (something like Synaptic helps here) and see if you can remove rarely used, but large, applications (use apt purge to remove them, so the config and support files are removed as well)
The typical Mint install includes a lot of software, some of that may be things you never use.  Try to find large applications (things like Evolution, or Banshee) that you do not use, and remove those.

As others have mentioned, you need a larger root partition eventually, but the steps above should help you clear enough space temporarily to limp along until you can accomplish a more permanent fix.

Hopefully that helps you get to a more stable state.

==Joseph++

P.S.
  This isn't relevant to Linux Mint 17, but is relevant to newer systems:
  Note that /var/log/journal often has a very large amount of old logs in modern systems.  This is the systemd journal, and has it's own commands for cleanup:
    sudo journalctl --disk-usage # Show how much space the journal logs take up, in one of my systems this is over 6G.
    sudo journalctl --rotate --vacuum-time=4weeks # rotate the journal files, and remove any older than 4 weeks; this will typically clear around 2-4G of space on systems that have been running a long time.
    Note that you can also configure journald to rotate and remove old logs automatically, this is configured in /etc/systemd/journald.conf.  I recommend reading the relevant documentation before making changes there.