Squid Proxy question

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Jun 22 16:25:11 MST 2021

Squid is more for outbound proxy (inside to outside), not inbound (outside
to inside).  IE. you have 2-1000's of users connecting out, and want to
funnel them through an appliance to log what they do.

If you want inbound for web services and such like your 9 websites, better
off using nginx or haproxy to do so.  Nginx can give your unencrypted 80
access, and present tls-based services if you wanted to (who doesn't want
encryption?), even things like quic/http2/3 for faster protocols. HAProxy
is more base level tcp redirect function, but less about web services and
more at a L4 port decision, accomplishes the same minus TLS termination
nginx can/might.  People buy appliances like load-balancers to do these
sorts of things too.

-mb