FQDN on Ubuntu 20.04lts

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 08:18:24 MST 2021

I think they changed the config that in the case of DHCP it assumes the
domain supplied.

If you are behind any sort of gateway, especially using NAT you want to use
the internal IP address, with some exceptions, and then using nat forward
the information. The rest is kind of optional and will vary based on what
you need. I do know that if you have Nate forwarding and your access via
the same hostname inside and outside it can get strange if you have 2
different IP addresses (IE internal and external).

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 11:45 AM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 and it did not ask for my domain.  I
> am building a PHP web hosting server for learning.
>
> Prior to this when installing Linux it always asked me for the domain
> the machine was going to be in.  Maybe I missed something.
>
> When I issued the command "hostname" it returned the host name.  When I
> issued the command "hostname -f" it only returned the hostname.
>
> To fix this I added this line to /etc/hosts "255.255.255.255
> hostname.Domain.tld hostname".
>
> 255.255.255.255 represents my public IP.
>
> Questions
>
> 1) Did I miss something on the install?
> 2) I am running BIND so is the line I added necessary to "fix" the FQDN?
> 3) Is there another or better way?
> 4) Since my webserver is on a private IP using port forwarding, should I
> use my private IP in /etc/hosts instead of my public IP?
>

> Thanks!!

Stephen