ntp

Donald Mac McCarthy mac at oscontext.com
Thu Dec 23 13:06:41 MST 2021

Steve is correct, you should replace the battery or replace the hardware. An improper time at boot can cause any number of “wonky” things, but also opens up some VERY nasty security attacks that revolve around timing. It is difficult and time consuming to get a system out of time with NTP running (which it should be by default on most Linux distros) when the boot time is “correct (within a few hundred milliseconds to 2 seconds)”. It is very easy to keep a system off time and continuously lie to it when relying on a plaintext software protocol alone.

If you don’t want to replace the battery, you should look at replacing the board.

Mac

--
Donald Mac McCarthy
Director, Field Operations