Help reinstall Fedora 35 bootloader after Windows decided to remove it

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 16:12:02 MST 2021

Hi

I dual boot Windows on my system with Fedora 35 and just did a Windows
update and it completely broke my bootloader, upon selecting Fedora in
the UEFI I just set the grub prompt filing the entire screen, i.e.

grub>
grub>
etc.....

I booted in the Fedora Live CD, chrooted into my system and have been
trying to reinstall grub using the instructions here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2#Instructions_for_UEFI-based_systems

When I try to reinstall the grub packages I get the following error:

  Running scriptlet: grub2-common-1:2.06-8.fc35.noarch                   26/26
error: failed to exec scriptlet interpreter /bin/sh: Permission denied
warning: %posttrans(grub2-common-1:2.06-8.fc35.noarch) scriptlet
failed, exit status 127

Error in POSTTRANS scriptlet in rpm package grub2-common
  Running scriptlet: shim-unsigned-ia32-15.4-1.fc32.x86_64               26/26
error: failed to exec scriptlet interpreter /bin/sh: Permission denied
warning: %transfiletriggerin(glibc-common-2.34-8.fc35.x86_64)
scriptlet failed, exit status 127

Error in <unknown> scriptlet in rpm package shim-unsigned-ia32
error: failed to exec scriptlet interpreter /bin/sh: Permission denied
warning: %transfiletriggerpostun(glibc-common-2.34-8.fc35.x86_64)
scriptlet failed, exit status 127

Error in <unknown> scriptlet in rpm package shim-unsigned-ia32

Any idea what I'm doing wrong and how I can get back up and running?

Cheers

Adam