Internal DNS Zone ...

Snyder, Alexander J alexander at snyderfamily.co
Wed Aug 11 13:53:16 MST 2021

Hi Folks --

Looking for some guidance on setting up an internal DNS zone, on an
externally resolvable domain.

I own:  snyderfamily.co

I have set up "int.snyderfamily.co" to be a CNAME record that is set to "
internalzone.ddns.net", so that when you ping "int.snyderfamily.co" you get
my firewall "98.165.64.38"

I have set up a NAT so that all external port 53/853 queries that hit my
WAN are redirected to my internal active directory server (10.0.10.3:53).

If I were to then create a record for say "plex.int.snyderfamily.co" -- I
*should* get "10.20.0.3",  as the response (*just the information, not the
IP, which is non-routable*) .... right?

I need someone to help validate my logic or fill in the gap where I'm
missing.

Right now, things are set up under "snyderfamily.int" ... but I'm not
understanding .... do I change my FW hostname to be "int.snyderfamily.co"
since that is where the Public IP resolves?

Would I then reconfigure AD to be "ns1.int.snyderfamily.co" where the NAT
is sending the DNS queries (*or at least should be sending them*)?

This is where it all breaks down in my mind and I get a whomping of anxiety
-- because I don't want to fubar my existing (working) "snyderfamily.int"
setup.

Your perspective, insight, and guidance on this are appreciated!

Thank you!!!

--
Thanks,
Alex.