How to make a pdf read only?

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Tue Aug 10 13:01:21 MST 2021

PDF files can only be edited with something like Acrobat or a tool that lets you do that.

So they’re effectively “read only” by default without the right tools.

Even then, when you create a PDF file, depending what you use, you can set an option that prevents or allows the text to be selected and copied to the clipboard.

But just about every OCR app in existence lets you feed it PDF files and get an editable Word or text file back.

Not to mention there are websites that will OCR a few pages of a PDF file for free.

(At my last job, they had a client with a couple dozen offices around the country. Someone at each office would grab a stack of invoices and drop them into a scanner every night and scan them; it would save the lot to a big PDF file that they’d upload to an FTP site on our server. I wrote an app that would periodically check for new files and run them through an OCR app to extract data from each invoice and put it into a database. The previous software would scan the entire page and save the results, although we only needed a few fields. Scanning only the parts of the page with the data we were looking for sped things up quite a bit. But the point is that the PDF files their scanners created were pretty useless even with Acrobat since they were just a big batch of scanned images.)

I think you’re asking the wrong question. Try stating the problem you’re actually trying to address.

-David Schwartz