Dm-crypt freezing computer?

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Thu Jun 25 15:07:29 MST 2020

On 2020-06-25 14:44, Seabass via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> I am extracting from a large tar file, and at around the 2nd gig, my
> computer starts to slow and even freeze up a bit. Mouse always moves
> fine, but that’s about it.
>
> iotop reports dm-crypt is the only thing and is using 99% of my
> read/write. htop shows minimal processing being used and ram isn't
> full...
>
> So... can dm-crypt as full disk encryption slow the computer to
> almost freezing?

Potentially, but I've never seen this happen.  My experience is with
just dm-crypt by itself on partitions on USB2 disks, no cryptsetup or
any of the friendly wrappers.  Are you using dm-crypt by itself, or
LUKS, or something else entirely?  Which CBC?  Is LVM or RAID involved?
Seeing anything in dmesg about disk errors?  Are you using ext34, or
something else?

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity