video card for watching videos

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 07:04:40 MST 2020

For just streaming and transcoding movies/video, I would suggest any of the
following. They are all sub 100 dollar cards, Potentially passively cooled,
and low profile options are available. they are also recent enough to have
modern transcode/decode options for movie/video watching.
GeForce GT 1030
Nvidia GTX 1050 mini
AMD RX 540/550
Even the AMD Radeon RX 5300 that is on the map for release later this year.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 4:18 PM Jim via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a new video card.  I'll use it mainly for watching
> videos.  I'm looking for something that will play h265 video and not bog
> down my system.  What should I look for in a video card?  thanks

Stephen