Connectivity question for the mob...

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Apr 14 08:52:58 MST 2020

Inline:

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:30 PM David Schwartz via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> Thanks for that, Michael.
>
> The thing is, I’ll just have 2 computers, and if I stack them together and
> hardwire them with a short wire, then I’m thinking I don’t need to connect
> them via the network, right? They can both be connected to the network, but
> … can't I just hook them together via ethernet or Thunderbolt or USB3 and
> speed things up?

You'd probably just connect them both to a gig switch, it's probably no
slower than the disk you're copying from, assuming it's a spinner disk.
Export over nfs should be quick enough with a decent switch, even without
use of jumbo frames.

I have a 55” 4k TV that I use as my monitor. It’s equivalent to 4 x HD
> monitors. Works great for my needs. Which is why I only need two computers.

I do much the same using 3x 48" 4k tv's that replaced my 6x 24" 1080p
lcds.  I get some quirks using the TV's under linux, but that's another
story.

My VMs run VirtualBox. They’re Windows machines, mostly Win 7. Right now I
> just run VirtualBox and start up a VM that I want to use. I usually put
> them to sleep when I’m done working b/c I’ve found they get trashed if the
> computer farts while a VM is open and the computer went to sleep.
>
> I guess I’m wondering what I’d run “locally” to access a desktop on the
> other machine full-screen (4k) so it looks local. With VNC or RDP, do I
> need something running on the other machine? (I’ve used them but never set
> them up.)
>
> After I my original post, I guess that to run the VMs locally, I’d connect
> to the machine’s file system as a shared FS, then set up VirtualBox and
> link it directly to the VMs in the shared volume. I’m still wondering if
> that would cause it to copy the file to the local machine first, or just
> page it out normally.

Do you really need the second computer for anything other than the
storage?  You could remove the disk, throw it in an enclosure (usb or
thunderbolt), and just plug it into your main system, running the VM's
there now - I tend to recycle old storage like this when I don't need
redundant disks.

Otherwise you can keep the second box headless, and just RDP to your
windoze box when needed.  It's not gonna be a fast display/framebuffer as
if you were local (think refresh rate), but if just using it for desktop
use and no gaming/movies (windoze is my visio hypervisor mostly), native
windoze RDP is just fine, and far better than vnc in my experience.

If using something like linux or other vm appliance without decent display
sharing (linux still sucks at this), you can have vbox present them as a
vnc desktop too directly in settings for the vm, but I rather cringe using
vnc these days for lack of security features.

An an out-of-the-box thought … would it work to set the machines up as some
> kind of cluster? I know that’s possible, but I’ve not looked into it ever,
> and I’m not sure it’s even useful in this situation. Maybe someone who
> knows can chime in.

Aside from the concept of a cluster sounding cool, it's not useful unless
you are running software that really needs it (ie. blender render farms),
or some scale/redundancy play.  I sync my most important data usually
between at least 2 workstations and two storage NAS's, not necessarily a
*cluster*, but I know my data will always be in one of 4 places always.
Might be meaningful for you to sync important data between the two as well
should one ever die.

I usually just tell people to get themselves a little Synology NAS for
storage, get a little redundancy (ideally), and just keep your data there
on a headless system you can throw in a closet or anywhere as you never
really see or touch it.